20051014

FreSh FemiNiNitY

Fresh Feminine Beauty is brought to us by Jean Grae, and I didn’t even know until I looked up the lyrics to this song. *SeaWeed* recommended her to me the other day and ever since I’ve seen her all over the place, and in this song particularily I’v been listening to the Roots latest album the Tipping point the last few days and this song I’m always down with cuz of the meaning behind the chorus. We all want something to be done about something, and it’s so nice when someone does it for us, or gives us our role to do, but reality is.. . that someone (or a group of people too right) has to be the one organizing the shit and makin sure that shit goes down. Someone has to look back at the events and see how things could’ve played out differently. Somebody has to be there to answer for shit, be the mark for the enemy (this isn’t totally necessary, but necessarily ends up happenin all the time), someone has to do a whole bunch of fucked up shit so that spoons dips into the milk, grabs some cereal, and gets into the mouth. What I’m sayin.. . what they sayin iz:

Somebody's gotta be there when it gets ugly
Somebody's gotta be there when it gets bloody
Somebody's gotta get their hands dirty
Yo, it's a fucked up job but somebody's gotta do it
Somebody's gotta come up with a plan
And be there when the shit hits the fan
I hope ya'll out there understand
Look man it's a fucked up job, but somebody's gotta do it

Mic malevolence
defies violence
I inherited
Others just rentin' it
like rooms
at the Sheraton
I gotta jones
like Vanessa
in the devil in-
And y'all cold
like a show
in the Netherlands
Cold shoulders
and frozen aortic valves –
So I don't form pals
- conform to norms -
morals different
Gifted –
use it to shift shit
a mutant shape shifter
when I spit it
I'm liquid
You could lick a million shots
at the character
of the body shell
They'll just richochette
nigga aura's hard as hell
Before there was
ain't hard to tell
The mic's cycle coincided right
with mine as well
Since a minor
I walked with the spine
upstraight
I learned to rhyme to feed
the dinner plate
I scraped barrel –
even dined up
on wine and steaks
Cuz in the bone
same marrow
that apartheid chased
The narrow margin
with the haves and the have nots
Will get smaller as I approach –
so watch your stash box
Fox logo
if your fave is local
Get bruised till you're the color
of the Laker's logo
This is work niggas

- Jean Grae (Sombody’s gotta do it)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home