20050208

Post Post Post... That's All I ever do

Brutal... I just found out that I'm bailing out on my ulti team tonight.... AGAIN. The number of times I haven't gone purely cuz I didn't fell like it or had 'something better' to do is now up to 3. But on the brighter side of things I was just talking to our captain, who happens to be the guy who totally talked me into joining the team in the first place while we were bothe seriously trashed before a concert back in November, and he said that there are still plenty of games left in our regular season. So I'm going to keep playing. Our teams name is The Intergalactic Junglelords. Hahah yeah, it was a spur of the moment type name that everyone instantly agreed too.
I also missed three games cuz I've been gone to Brazil. I was down there for the World Social Forum. If i was at all digitally skilled I would be linking words like WORLD SOCIAL FORUM and ULTIMATE FRISBEE to websites that explian what they are, but for now, I'm happy with myself posting. It's kind of a cosmic event. For real.
So yeah tons to talk about there... .. . .
Wanna hear more?? Well a little more about nothin won't hurt. Last night i went to go see Shaking Hands With the Devil - Romeo Dellaire. Anyone who knows anything about this is probably already shaking their head. He was the UN Comander (or general) in charge of the peace keepin forces who were to keep the peace accord between the Hutus and the Tutsis in Rawanda in late 1993 I think. Sorry for my spelling, but right now I have no time to look up the right spelling, or check should I say. And so in 1994 when the Hutu army, which was the governments army, trained by the french, started their campaign to Slaughter the Tutsis they quickly reacted by callin New York ,UN central, and asking for back up.
Nothing.
No reponse.
Once they got a reponse their response was something to the degree that intervening was out of their mandate. The UN's in Rawanda had no military support from the world, and very scarce resources, and were faced with the opportunity to save thousands and thousands and thousands of beautiful human beings, but they very strongly had their hands binded and their mouths gaged. They stayed and tried to do what they could, but waht could they do? They couldn't go up against an army without themselves being an army. So right when the brutal killing started, ten Belgian UN peacekeepers were killed. The UN forces that were holding ground there were comprised of soldiers from canada, congo, bangladesh or cambodia (sorry to misrepresent), and belgium. Withthe largest portion of the forces being Belgian. So once theten soldiers were killed, Belgium pulled all of their soldiers and totally crippled the UN forces more. And then the massacares started. The movie is very detailed can easily be hard to see for anyone who is sensitive, empathetic, and compassionate.
800 000 beings.
human beings
were killed in
100 days.
Clubbed... brutally hacked.... and shot to death.

constantly word was being sent out to heads of state... corprate media (BBC CBC etc) and no action was taken. People were just wiped out.

some stand points shown... comments from people who could have helped is 'there's too many of them anyways'
Black Africa who has been raped and left destitute has nothing to buy and nothing to sell. No strategical positon to offer.

No voice to be heard.

This man Romeo Dellaire, did what he could and still is. He helped make this movie and has written a book denouncing the events that took place. To feel guilty means nothin... really. What action must be taken?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i know about this. it's shocking on proportions far beyond my description capabilities. absolute genocide. inhuman. have been trying to find the book, hadn't heard of the movie, where's it been released?

10:53 AM GMT-7  
Blogger JuleZ said...

I can not belive that this, along with so many other things have happened in my lifetime. While I grew up watching TV and worrying about 'fitting in' and enjoying life. I saw this movie here, where I live, at a movie theatre that plays independent movies, foreign films, and documentaries. I tried to google what theatre's have screened the documentary, but could find out. Maybe you'll hva ebetter luck, also you could probably get in touch with Romeo Dallaire himself or his agent and get the movie screened in your city.
Thanks for commenting.

11:22 AM GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home